Monday, May 23, 2022

Day 25. Carberry to Winnipeg. May 22. 157 km.

I spoke with Linda the night before and we concluded that a visit would be okay as Gramie was being treated for her cough. Although the day started off at just above zero, it was sunny with essentially no wind, in particular there was no headwind. The Robin's Nest didn't have great food and wouldn't open until 8 AM, so we snacked on some things in our possession and pedalled eastward. At 28 km we stopped at another Subway restaurant and had another breakfast sub, and I got my coffee for the day. 
Riding conditions became ideal and we pedalled eastward in brilliant sunshine with cloudless skies. On the bypass around Pottage la Prairie, we encountered road construction and had to ride around the usual barriers etc. At one point, the road went down to a single very rough lane, so I decided to wait a go through the area when the traffic cleared. The driver of a semi saw my predicament and did me a great favor. He flashed his light's and motioned me through while he held up the traffic to protect me.
We rode through lots of evidence of the recent rainy weather. The fields were soaked and the rivers were high. I feel for the farmers because they can't get on their land.
We made good time and covered the 157 km to Jerry and Linda's by just after 4 PM.
They have a wonderfully spacious two bedroom apartment with lots of storage space and excellent common facilities. They served us a great home-cooked dinner and provided us with a clothes washer and dryer.  Best of all, they provided us with a great opportunity to just hang out with them and chat.
The ditch beside the road became a stream. 
High water, Assiniboine River. 
More flooded fields west of Winnipeg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment