Sunday, June 26, 2022

Day 59. Whycocomagh to North Sydney for Ferry to Newfoundland. June 26. 90 km.

We got an early start by eating a quick breakfast in the motel. Then we pedalled to the Little Narrow ferry, 
Little Narrows ferry 

which got us on rte 223  I chose this because I knew that there were big hills on the Trans-Canada Hwy into North Sydney. Cape Breton Island is beautiful, including the inland sea aka the Bras d'Or Lakes. Unfortunately there were quite a few hills on this road, which Gramie thought was more challenging than the highway. Nevertheless we made it to the ferry terminal by 1:30 PM, where we were checked in and given information about the sailing.  Earlier, I had made reservations on the ferry for us and our bikes but was unable to book a room with beds.  I asked to be put on the waiting list. We left the ferry terminal and got some lunch followed by an ice cream cone. Obviously Gramie enjoyed her cone. 
Gramie wearing some of her ice cream. 

On returning to the terminal, we were loaded first and went directly to the 8th deck and claimed a couple of good seats- by a window in an area with reclining chairs. After we got sailing, I was called to the registration desk and we got the last room available via cancellation. For me it was well worth the extra charge because I got a great sleep. Not so much for Gramie.
I also exploited their buffet dinner, its roast beef, chicken, cod, meat balls, salad, rice, potato and stir fried vegetables. Then a couple of plates of dessert to round me out. It was a perfect match- my appetite and their abundance of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment