Monday, June 17, 2019

Day 45 St-John to Annapolis Royal



"She's called Nova Scotia and so makes you feel. You've discovered a treasure no other has seen." (Rita McNeill)

We woke up early to have a bite to eat at the Econolodge and then get to the ferry terminal the mandatory 1-hour before the 8 am sailing time. Everything was going according to schedule as the breakfast room guy started things a bit before the scheduled 6:30 opening. We were moving well on the road to the ferry when I got flat rear tire. So Gramie went on buy tickets and get in line. Meanwhile I started to change the tire and tube. Everything went wrong and I couldn't install a proper tire on the wheel. When I looked at the time it was clear that I wouldn't make ferry if I walked the bike. So out of desperation I decided to ride on a flat tire. What a miracle. It worked. I rode the 4 km to the ferry going at speeds up to 15 kph. When I got there Gramie cheered and not long thereafter we boarded the ferry. Gramie had met a nice lady,  Barbara, who helped us immensely. She told us where we could find the Canadian Tire store and offered to drive us there in her SUV that was parked at the Digby terminal. We eventually accepted her generosity by having her drive me and my dysfunctional bike to Digby. Gramie followed on her bike. I purchased a new tire and tube then installed them in the Canadian Tire parking lot. Happily the wheel was okay and we carried on to Annapolis Royal.
We got into a B&B then went for dinner. Mine was okay but on the small side. Gramie's was really small. So I asked if they could bring her a few potatoes, which they did.
Our distance for today was 64 km not including the ferry portion.
Ice cream question for grandchildren. We were on a ship today. Name the famous body of water that we crossed and name the engineer who supervised the construction of the largest electric turbines that have been installed in this water.

1 comment: