Sunday, June 2, 2019

Day 30 Wawa to Batchawana Bay

"Black fly, little black fly, always a black fly everywhere you go, I'll die with the black fly picking my bones in North Ontario IO, in North Ontario" (Wade Hemsworth)

We fooled the little black flies today because we didn't see any. Perhaps it was the cold weather that made them inactive. The temperature was 4C when we started and got up to perhaps 10C right at the end of the day in the sun. But we did get lots of bright sun today. All of our friends and family must have prayed hard because we had a tailwind today. It was a good day to have a push from behind because the ride had hills and it's 152 km between accommodations with food. In order to get an early start we had to eat in our room because the restaurant didn't open until 7:30. So our breakfast this morning was a Hungry Man TV dinner each. They filled the voids. 

With the tailwind we made decent time getting to Batchawana Bay before 5 pm. The truck traffic was lighter because it was Sunday and the road was generally very good. We saw five people on bikes going the other way. 

We had lots of great scenery especially along the shore of Lake Superior. We also two moose. I saw the first one across a lake wading in shallow water. By the time I stopped and got my camera ready it had walked into the trees. For we had seen that cow moose often travel in pairs, a cow and her yearling offspring. So I watched for a couple of seconds and caught the second moose with my camera. 

We stayed at the Voyageur motel and had a nice meal there. I did a traveler's laundry by showering with my clothes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment