Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Day 25 Shabaqua to Thunder Bay

"There was thunder, thunder over Thunder......" (Don Raye/Robert Mitchum

When we awoke this morning, we were surprised to see heavy frost on the grass.  It was -1C but sunny. We ate the cold food that we had bought last night in the all-purpose store-office and then were on our way. Most notably there was no headwind so we really enjoyed the ride into Thunder Bay. Moreover the road shoulder was generally very good making it even more pleasant. 

Last night I booked a hotel room via Hot Wire and got the Airlane, which made Gramie smile because it is the only one that seemed to have a hot tub. We arrived at the hotel about noon and asked for checkin time. They said 3 pm so we went to Mr Sub for lunch. Gramie got a really good Greek salade and I had a smoked meat sub, we'll probably go back to the chain in the future. As it turned out the hot tub wasn't working, which was a big disappointment because it is so soothing to the butt after riding the bike. 

The other thing that I did in town was to visit a bicycle shop to see about my pedals because they haven't been reliable to release my shoes. We went to Petrie's and instead of new pedals I came out with my shoe clips and peddles polished, my derailleurs adjusted and a new crank bearing plus a water drain drilled in crank housing. Everything cost me less than 2/3 of the expected price of new pedals.

Ice cream question for grandchildren. You have seen two pictures of signs about watersheds. What is the term for this geographical feature? 

Distance covered today 72 km

2 comments: