Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 10 TCH near Whitbourne

Today didn't start or end well.  Breakfast was available starting at 8 AM, which was later than any B&B on this trip.  Then they were a few minutes late opening, and the service was slow.  It was 8:30 before our food came; fortunately the food was fine- nothing special but fine.  The bike ride was a bit hilly but worst of all Susie's bike started acting up.  When I followed her, it appeared to me that the chain was bent; I know this sounds goofy but it appeared to have lateral waves in it.  For a while I thought that I was seeing things but then it started to shift up and down for no apparent reason; this could happen if the chain was wobbling laterally.  Between this and the headwind that came up in the afternoon, we decided to cut it short today at just over 100 km.  We checked into the Moorland Motel and got the last room available.  It's not a great motel but it's a roof over our heads.  In the late evening, I received a message for the Hometel B&B in St. John's saying that they had a room, so I confirmed it by telephone.  The I revised our travel plans for the final day by plotting a route to Cape Spear first.  We no longer had to visit the Information Centre to get help with accommodations.

No comments:

Post a Comment